My Dog Won't Eat - What Can I Do? Feed Him/Her


THIS INFORMATION IS FOR THE LIFETIME OF YOUR ANGEL BABY

YOUR PUPPY WILL BE EATING WELL ON ITS OWN WHEN YOU TAKE IT HOME :)

There are times when we wring our hands when our precious pooches won't eat. In my case, my 4 weeks pregnant Maltese won't eat a bite!  She has eaten very little over the past week or so. She has been to the vet, is probably nauseous but bottom line is - she won't eat and she is losing weight!

She has been a finicky eater all her life so this isn't new but the circumstances are. So, we will do what I have always done with her - feed her. This may come in handy to someone else with a simular problem.

First, decide what food you are going to feed. Make sure it doesn't have lumps that could be a choking hazard.  Since you will most likely grind it up you can put whatever in it that will aid in the the reason your pooch won't eat such as:
medication
herbs
high calories
high nutrition
energy foods
electrolytes
fluids
etc...

Don't make your food mixture too watery as it could cause choking.



Let's get started. I put a towel around her and hold it in the back with a pair of hemostats. I have her on my footstool (covered with a towel) in front of me as I sit in my chair. The food combination I made is specific to her and the puppies needs during her pregnancy. It includes:


Wellness Puppy Food - Complete high nutrition and contains no meat by-products, artificial colors, flavorings, preservatives, corn, wheat or soy


Instinct Canned Dog Food - balanced with wholesome foods including real meat, fruits and vegetables in a delicious loaf texture, along with natural sources of omega fatty acids, grain free.  


Sunflower Oil - boosts energy, adds calories, strengthens the immune system, improves skin health, prevents cancer, lowers cholesterol and reduces inflammation.


Maple Syrup - a healthier energy source, helps the immune system, has antioxidant properties that protect from free radicals


Bone Broth - is rich in minerals that support the immune system and contains healing compounds like collagen, glutamine, glycine and proline




Here is the food mixture that I will feed Heidi. Now, have 2 spoons, a plastic one and a regular metal one. Start with the plastic spoon because it's softer and safer for teeth. I am using a metal spoon because I need to push her mouth down and open with it as I feed her and a plastic spoon would break.


I put my fingers in her mouth opening the top and pressing down with the spoon.


I then slide the food in and put the spoon at the top of her mouth to prevent her from pushing the food out. I move the spoon to aggitate her mouth so that she will swallow. She does.


I also hold her head up which also encourages her to swallow the food that is going to the back of her throat.


She is licking the food as she swallows it.


I feed her this way spoon by spoon until it's gone. She ate everything in the bowl that you saw.  I feed her once or twice a day depending on her weight and needs.


I hope you found this to be helpful. Heidi feels much better now that she has good nutrition in her.

1 comment:

  1. We found this information so vital, especially since Angel Babies have been so well cared for during the breeding and first few months of their lives. Sally stresses the importance of making sure the tiny puppy is eating and gaining weight each day in a helpful, guiding manner. She is firm but kind in emphasizing the utmost importance of this crucial time. We once had good luck in adding baby rice pablum to the puppy's crushed dogfood and water to encourage weight gain during this initial stage of bringing baby home. We are setting up a Puppy Pantry with all of the recommended items on Sally's List. It was also helpful to see the videos and description of feeding the tiny puppy with plastic feeder bottles with the spouted lids.
    Diane & Charles

    ReplyDelete